Wednesday, February 17, 2016

How to Host Images on a Google Site for the Web

Images need a web address in order to be used in a system like Awesome Tables and this post explains one way to get it done. For our Online Book Review site, I used book covers that were hosted on Library Thing. But for builds that use your own images, like a student art gallery or an ebook shelf of student work, you need to host your own images. This is a niche post that I will reference when I write about making Awesome Tables sing with hosted images. If you are never going to use Awesome Tables or if you have a web server, well, you probably don’t need this post. Otherwise, read on!

Using a Google Site is an easy way to host files for free online. Google Sites in the wild have a 100MB limit, which translates into a lot of JPG files. Sites work a little differently Inside of an EDU domain. The whole domain is capped at a 10 GB quota.


I usually make one site to host my media files and create a page for each class or project. I share the site with the audience I need, whether it’s public, for the domain, or for a smaller group. Then, I add the jpg files with the “Add Files” attachment feature on the bottom of the page. This creates a weblink for each uploaded image. Right click on the JPG name and “Copy the link address,” but do not stop there!  This link won’t work for the public and you might not realize the problem. In an insidious twist - it will work for you, making you think everything is good, but others will see a broken image link.

To make the link valid, paste the URL where you need it to go (into a form or a piece of HTML for instance) and delete everything from the question mark, on. You will be left with a web link that can be used in an Awesome Table or any other HTML.


I hope this post comes in handy for you. If it does, let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment